Chocolate dulce de leche bars
Fudgy cookies is in Latin with an infusion of dulce de leche, a sweet milk caramel similar to arequipe and cajeta. These cool treats are happily portable on their crisp shortbread crusts.
Total products: 24 bars
Active time: 30 minutes
Total time: 3 ¼ hours
For shortbread crust:
- 1 stick unsalted butter, softened
- 1/3 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup all-purpose flour.
For chocolate dulce de leche:
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup dulce de leche
- 4 large egg yolks
- 5 ounces 60%-cacao bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped (preferably in a food processor)
Make shortbread crust:
1. Preheat oven to 375°F with rack in middle. Butter a shallow 9- to 9 1/2-inch square baking pan (1 to 1 1/2 inches deep). Line bottom and 2 sides with parchment paper, leaving an overhang. Butter parchment.
- Blend together brown sugar, vanilla, salt, and butter in a bowl with a fork. Sift in flour and blend with fork until a soft dough forms.
- Spread dough evenly in baking pan using an offset spatula or back of a spoon, then prick all over with fork.
- Bake until golden, 15 to 20 minutes, then cool completely in pan on a rack, about 30 minutes.
Make chocolate dulce de leche:
1. Bring cream and dulce de leche to a simmer in a small heavy saucepan, stirring with a wooden spoon until dulce de leche has dissolved.
- Whisk together yolks in a bowl, then slowly whisk in hot cream mixture. Return to pan and turn to MEDIUM setting heat, stirring constantly, until pan is visible in tracks of spoon and mixture registers 170°F on an instant-read thermometer. Remove from heat and whisk in chocolate until melted.
1. Pour chocolate mixture over cooled shortbread and chill, uncovered, until cold and set, about 2 hours.
- Run a small knife around edges to loosen, then transfer to a cutting board using parchment. Cut with a hot clean knife (dip in hot water and wipe clean between cuts) into 24 bars. Chill until ready to serve.
Note :Chocolate dulce de leche bars can be chilled in an airtight container up to 1 day.