Serves: 8 people
Recommended Cookware: 6 Quarts Pressure Cooker
Pressure Cooking Time: 12 minutes
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 cinnamon stick
- ½ teaspoon cardamom
- ½ teaspoon ground turmeric
- ½ teaspoon cumin seeds
- ½ teaspoon ground coriander
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 ½ cup yellow lentils/split peas
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
- 1 mango, peeled and diced
- ½ cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Place lentils/split peas in a colander and rinse well.
- Set induction burner on BOIL setting and add canola oil to a 6 quart pressure cooker. Then add all of the dry spices (cinnamon through cayenne) and cook stirring until fragrant (about 20 seconds).
- Add onion; cook, stirring, until soft and beginning to brown, 4 to 6 minutes (add a little vegetable broth if spices brown too much).
- Add garlic, ginger, salt and cook, stirring, for 1 minute more.
- Add remaining vegetable broth and stir well to pick up any spices or onions that are on the bottom of the pressure cooker. Add peas/lentils and mango, stir and lock pressure cooker.
- Use STIR-FRY setting to bring cooker up to high pressure.
- Once pressure is reached use MED-HIGH setting to stabilize pressure and cook dal for 12 minutes.
- Allow the pressure to release naturally. Stir in cilantro and serve.